Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oh, and this:

Manifest Destiny

We stood at the end of the pavement
her in her wedding dress
me in her boxer shorts,
waiting for a bus that would never come.
An eagle cried out
A cock announced the morning at noon.
My wife, she whispered,
“Cream puff caper milk toast;
you take the trash to the coons,
I’ll clean the dishes with me teeth.”
I fetched the gun.
The neighbors, art students
killing livestock, cooking methamphetamines,
mocked the birds, laughed at my gun.
I waved it at them.
And, on that porch,
which, in retrospect, had nothing to do with a bus,
holding my wife and my gun,
I felt whole, for the first time
a real American.

3 comments:

Wm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wm said...

I don't want to stroke your ego too much but, I'm impressed with your writing. You're good, keep it up!

Aaron C. Mason said...

Holly shit yes.